March 18, 2011


Last night I made this potato asparagus tart for dinner
And I just ate a slice for brunch
It is absolutely fantastic!

Adapted from Jamie Oliver's recipe;
Here is my version

Three medium potatoes
One bunch of asparagus
Three large organic eggs
One cup of aged white cheddar
Eight ounces of half and half
Five or so sheets of filo dough
Half of one nutmeg
Melted butter
Salt and pepper

Slice and boil potatoes in salted boiling water
Boil trimmed asparagus for 5 minutes, then shock in ice water
Layer filo dough and melted butter into a 10" tart pan,
Tearing extra to line the sides
Mix the eggs, half and half, grated cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper 
into the mashed potatoes and pour into the tart pan
Lay the asparagus into the potato mixture and brush top with butter
garnish with cracked black pepper and nutmeg
Bake in the oven for half an hour or so at 375 degrees
then under the broiler until browned

I cannot wait until the asparagus in my garden is mature enough to harvest,
And I can finally get fresh eggs from my yard...
There are gorgeous purple spears poking up through the rich friable compost,
But I've got a couple years yet before I can cook with them
During the next few weeks Ill be working on our fence and building the chicken coop
I'm so excited to welcome a few hens into the family.






SOME OTHER THINGS I LIKE   


















3 comments:

Diane said...

That looks absolutely delicious!

Diane said...

That looks absolutely delicious!

beth said...

oh my goodness- looks fantastic!