December 5, 2009

The Accident...


Our day began and then ended on a very high note, but in between was the worst midday Ive ever experienced. I am so very thankful for mine and for my husbands life. Also for the few people whose names i don't even know, who came to our rescue.

At 9 am this morning we set out to cut down our christmas tree. At that point it was raining pretty heavily, but on the way there while listening to holiday music on the radio, it started to snow. We got there and found a nice fat norway spruce. Then we headed back out for home because Stephen had to work at 1:00....

We got about two miles down the road and were suddenly violently thrust to the left by a patch of black ice. We did a full 360 down a 12 foot hill and landed on the side of our truck.... That was the worst 30 seconds of my entire life.

When we finally stopped, Stephen was laying against the window and i was dangling from my seat belt. He said he could see a car had stopped and i looked up and saw a man running over. He got the car door opened and Stephen stood up on the drivers side window. they lifted me up so i could be unbuckled and Stephen boosted me up and out and the man brought me down against the under side of the truck. By the time i reached the top of the hill another man was passing me with a second flare and a woman was talking to the 911 operator.

4 hours later we were home not really knowing what to do with ourselves.... So my family came over to set up our tree, decorate for Christmas, watch charlie brown, and take our minds off what had just happened.

My chest and waist are bruised from the seat belt, but we are otherwise unharmed.
I still haven't completely processed the whole thing yet.
I don't really know what to think.

7 comments:

Sowing Clover (Emily) said...

Oh my word!! I'm so glad you both made it through and I hope you have no other repercussions from this. How's Stephen? How's the car?

On a lighter note, you won the giveaway! Big surprise...

Sowing Clover (Emily) said...

Oh, and you win both things. Just because.

The Oak Leaves said...

We are both fine, I just woke up this morning sore all over, and realized i must have hit my knee at some point cause its pretty banged up. I dont know if we'll be able to save the truck or not. I hope so, i love our little truck, its done well for us this past five years...

Im so happy to be getting wonderful gifts! My address is 120 Oak st. Fredericksburg va 22401

nice way to get cheered up, i have to leave for a 9 hour work day in a minute and less than thrilled. I want to climb back into bed!

SHUTTERWHALE said...

I am so glad to know you weren't hur in your accident. A similar thing happened to me two years ago that threw my Miata into oncoming traffic on one of Houston's largest freeways. The worst few seconds of my life. I am glad to share a moment like that with you, as we both were relatively unharmed.

Mariss said...

How horrible, thank goodness you are both okay. I hope you have a speedy recovery.

I just found your work and love what you do. Am subscribing pronto!

The Oak Leaves said...

Thanks everyone! I am so fortunate, and somehow (unbelievably) my truck still runs. It dosnt look pretty (at all), but it runs!

jene said...

wow. that's so scary. i'm sorry you guys had that happen but happy you and your truck and mostly ok.