September 25, 2009

Indian Pipe...

Pinesap (monotropa hypopithys L.)

A day or so ago while moseying through the woods, i got closer to the ground and this is what i found...

Stephen and i set out to see what we could see... Off the beaten trail there were spider webs everywhere. He broke off a stick which i held out in front of me to keep them out of my face. There were plenty of white mushrooms and even a nice bright red one... Stephen was happiest to find some dried sphagnum moss where a boggy bit had once been. After a while i took a seat on a mound of moss and looked around. Just as we were about to leave (because the sun was setting) i found this little saprophytic treasure. They are easy to find in our battlefields. We've only seen their pure white cousins once in another section of forest. Those are my favorite as I'm not a huge fan of pink... but i was still delighted to see him.

5 comments:

The Fern and Mossery said...

Great find and a beautiful shot.

The Oak Leaves said...

Thanks so much! I was delighted!

miniaturerhino said...

looks like a magical thing, even an underwater creature...

Sarah said...

Just to let you know, I read your comment on the Fern Animal copyright-related post, and I'm sorry to hear that you've encountered similar troubles. Your work is also sweet and wonderful. I hadn't seen it until today and am happy to have come across your blog and etsy shop. Best of luck!

And the Indian Pipe is beautiful!

The Oak Leaves said...

Sarah,
Thank you so much for you that! You are wonderful...

chrisi